[MISC] [MOBY-l] Time-to-live as service metadata

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Mar 17 21:39:03 UTC 2004

To be honest, I have racked my brains on this, and can't come up with a
better solution that what you & Martin are suggesting either - I was
hoping to bring it up at the MOBY meeting in CSHL in a couple of weeks,
but it looks like the cat's out of the bag again now :-)  It's all a
part of the larger issue of security (in general) and quality of
service.  My understanding of UDDI is that UDDI registrations don't
time-out, but rather are governed by (a) quite small and domain specific
registries, that (b) have password authentication for the
register/deregister process if necessary.  As such, they might not
experience the problem of wanton random (useless) service registration
since only a select few can register services, nor of services becoming
obsolete given the peer-pressure of the smaller social-domain the
registry caters to.  Conversely, if you look at the services currently
available in MOBY Central you will already see quite a bit of garbage -
services and objects called "TEST", for example - people not cleaning up
after themselves... in fact, I noticed this morning that someone has
registered an object called "LSID" that is specific to a particular
domain of LSID's!  EEEK! Granted, this is my fault for not getting off
my arse and setting up a test-instance of the registry, but it does
emphasize the need for some sort of automated maintenance!

My inner voice tells me that the more barriers we put at the
service-provision side of the equation, the fewer people will play the
game, and the less useful MOBY will be.  It's easy enough for people
with a good knowledge of systems to set up a cron that will re-register
their services on a weekly basis, but this does raise the bar higher
than I had hoped to w.r.t. service-provider buy-in, and will be quite
foreign to someone on e.g. MS Windows.  The flip-side of the coin is, as
you say, that the less reliable/useful the system is as a whole the less
it will be used - a deadly downwards spiral toward uselessness!  Damned
if you do, damned if you don't!

Personally, I'm all for the time-to-live solution, if the person who
decides to build it *promises* to build the tools to make it easy to
implement!

...notice that we first need someone to raise their hand and volunteer
to build it ;-)  I'm trying to get more money to pay coders in my lab,
but that will take time, so... anyone with idle hands is welcome to do
the devils work!

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 13:14, Frank Gibbons wrote:
> At 03:41 PM 3/17/2004, Martin Senger wrote:
> > > Or have a Time To Live associated with a service.  The policy would be
> > > central.  By default, a service stays listed for, lets say, 7 days...
> > >
> >    I like it, and I like that somebody brought it here again. I was trying
> >a year ago, but nobody listened to me. This "leasing" is a concept that
> >has been discussed a lot within myGrid project and is very appealling. It
> >is part of a broader question of "quality of service" (or "metadata"
> >attached to a service).
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me (not that I have any experience in this
> stuff). I think, if MOBY takes off in a big way, this might turn out to be
> an Achilles' heel if not tackled early. What will happen if, five years
> from now, there are 1000 services registered, but only 250 of them actually
> work as advertised? You're going to have some pretty unhappy service
> consumers on your hands, and it's going to become harder for others to
> justify adding services.
>
> Imagine MOBY as one of those maps you get a holiday fair, showing what each
> booth is and what they're selling. If most of the booths are empty, or are
> selling something different from what the little map says, pretty soon
> people start to say "oh, MOBY used to be great when it started out, but you
> don't want to go there now unless you really have a lot of time on your
> hands - most of the booths are empty, and those that aren't empty are
> selling something different from what you expect."
>
> "Time to live" sounds like a fairly low-maintenance way to go.
>
> -Frank
>

> PhD, Computational Biologist,
> Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
> Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
> 617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons

Mark Wilkinson (mwilkinson at mrl.ubc.ca)
University of British Columbia iCAPTURE Centre