[MOBY-l] Fwd: Problems searching with semantic moby

Frank Gibbons fgibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 25 15:56:39 UTC 2004

Gary,

At 07:25 PM 8/24/2004, you wrote:
>However, RDF/XML is very unwieldy for non-geek users. Hence, one of the
>goals of Semantic MOBY was to have a "Google-like" interface for discovery
>and engagement Semantic MOBY service providers. That is what you see at
>the www.semanticmoby.org home page. In a sense, it's the Semantic
>equivalent of the MOBY Central 'gbrowse' front end
>(http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca/cgi-bin/gbrowse_moby) and the very immature
>beginning of a "Semantic Google".

Thanks for that detailed response. Query composition seems like the biggest
hurdle to using 'smoogle' (Semantic-Moby Google), and your
provider/subject/object interface certainly seems like a sensible first
step towards simplifying it. On a broader level, what do you know about how
other semantic web groups are approaching this problem?

Another question/suggestion: are there any toy services out there, that I
could play with? What are some of the providers? I'm thinking back to the
first days of Mosaic, before there were any search engines. You'd fire up
Mosaic, and it would load a page from NCSA listing all the new websites for
that day, with a little textual description. (It's astonishing to think
that this was ever possible!) I guess Ken Steube's scripts do something
similar, albeit dynamically, providing a list of all available MOBY-S
services. Given the world's general unfamiliarity with semantic web
concepts, I wonder if it wouldn't help to list a few of the available
S-MOBY services, just to get people playing. Right now, I don't know where
to look for services.

One last thing: I tried using the search interface again, I'm still getting
the error about '/keyword-search not found'.

This is exciting stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing the updated page
you're working on now!

-F

PhD, Computational Biologist,
Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons