[MOBY-l] Fwd: Problems searching with semantic moby dot org

Gary Schiltz gss at ncgr.org
Tue Aug 24 23:25:27 UTC 2004

Frank,

Sorry, but the semanticmoby.org web site is still pretty rough, hence
the "Under Construction" banner needs to be taken quite literally for
the time being. I have about three weeks worth of work on Semantic MOBY,
running locally, that has not yet been released to semanticmoby.org;
things should be in a much better state by the end of the week.

That said, here is some (long-winded) clarification - I need to add
similar explanation to the site itself. Semantic MOBY does indeed use an
RDF-based discovery and engagement paradigm (post the RDF/XML
serialization of a query graph to the discovery server and get back a
set of matching graphs as RDF/XML; post an RDF/XML ("input") graph to a
Semantic MOBY provider and get the RDF/XML graph back (as "output"),
where the graph has been augmented by having blank nodes filled in).
This really is the heart of Semantic MOBY, and it needs to be (will be
as soon as I can get to it) documented and made accessible.

However, RDF/XML is very unwieldy for non-geek users. Hence, one of the
goals of Semantic MOBY was to have a "Google-like" interface for
discovery and engagement Semantic MOBY service providers. That is what
you see at the www.semanticmoby.org home page. In a sense, it's the
Semantic equivalent of the MOBY Central 'gbrowse' front end
(http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca/cgi-bin/gbrowse_moby) and the very
immature beginning of a "Semantic Google".

In a nutshell, here is how this works: when the Semantic MOBY discovery
server decides to add a provider graph to its repository of known
services, it looks at all the nodes in the graph that are of type
moby:Provider, moby:Subject, and moby:Object. For each of these nodes,
it looks for other statements asserting the node to be of other types
(RDF nodes can have multiple rdf:type statements made about them). For
each of these additional types (i.e. the objects of the rdf:type
statements), the discovery server retrieves the class definition (to be
a good MOBY player requires that all classes are retrieveable by HTTP
GET - see, for example, the Semantic MOBY core definitions at
www.semanticmoby.org/ontologies/core), and looks for moby:keyword
property statements in these class definition. For each such keyword,
the discovery server remembers that the provider node (or subject node
or object node) in the provider graph is associated with that keyword.

When you do a search from the www.semanticmoby.org page, the discovery
server looks in its stored keyword/provider associations in order to
find providers that match "by keyword" and displays links to them in
Google-like fashion. That gets us to the provider engagement side of the
equation, which would take at least as long to describe as the
description that I just gave about discovery, so I'm going to skip it
for now, other than to say that the links are to another Semantic MOBY
service which tries to invoke and display the results of invoking the
provider.

This "keyword based" search is completely separate from the Semantic,
RDF-graph based search, which is also there (but again, not yet
documented). We (Damian and I) decided that the most conspicuous, hence
first thing you see on the site, version of Semantic MOBY search should
be up front; the RDF-graph based search, though in a sense more what
Semantic MOBY is all about, will be less conspicuous, to be dug up by
the "real geeks" such as readers of this list :-)

Regarding the "Not Found" error you got, I believe that the Servlet
container had failed to restart when the server got rebooted the other
day - sorry. It is up now, but again, a lot of the functionality that I
described is still under construction, and should be there by the end of
the week...

// Gary