[MOBY-l] Policy on the use of prefix 'moby'?

Ken Steube steube at sdsc.edu
Tue Apr 13 19:27:32 UTC 2004

> names like "Integer" and "Object" seem like likely candidates for
> namespace collisions.

I'm not sure, but in the case of MOBY are these tags really are candidates
for collisions?

These blocks of XML like <Object...> and <Integer...> come from the MOBY
data ontology and so there is exactly one precise meaning for these tags.
One reason for having a MOBY ontology is to give specific meanings to
these tags and to give an exact specification on what the XML should look
like.  So I think there's no room for conflicts.

If we later allow multiple data object ontologies then there may be a
conflict. That's when we would start to need XML namespaces to distinguish
between the alternate ontologies.

So my understanding then is that an XML namespace in front of Integer
would only serve to distinguish between alternate MOBY ontologies (and
there's only one so far). Is that correct?

Ken