[MOBY] Re: [MOBY-l] Policy on the use of prefix 'moby'?

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Apr 13 15:16:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 07:30, Paul Gordon wrote:
> Perhaps the best thing to do would be to have a RUWF? type service on
> the biomoby.org Web site for service developers...

That is probably a good idea for the time-being (who is going to
volunteer to write that? ;-) ).  In the future, as we get more tools,
this problem will probably go away entirely.

>  or perhaps have the
> MOBY clients send e-mails to the service provider every time they access
> a non-namespace compliant service :-)
Oh, yeah... they will LOVE us for that!  :-)

We (e.g. at the developers meeting last week) have been talking about
various forms of meta-data servers that might be a good place to store
information like this rather than annoying our service providers with
email...

I agree with your earlier comment about being forgiving in what you
consume, though (in fact, this is somewhat mandated by the API, in that
you are obligated to consume more complex objects than you advertise in
your service signature).  So, Paul, in your peer-to-peer implementation
are you making assumptions about the namespace because there is no
default, or because you want to be ultra-forgiving?

Cheers!

Mark Wilkinson (mwilkinson at mrl.ubc.ca)
University of British Columbia iCAPTURE Centre