[MOBY-l] Processing MOBY responses: MOBYSHoundGetGenBankff as an example

Frank Gibbons fgibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 8 21:21:56 UTC 2004

Hi,

Let me add to my previous comment, to make it more specific:

         If I'm trying to process a request, the first thing I do is call
"getInputs( <raw_XML_here>)". What is the analogue of that for handling the
service's response to a request? I'm just looking for the sequence of
function calls, and the names of the API functions that I should be using.

Thanks,

-Frank

At 05:03 PM 4/8/2004, you wrote:
>One topic which I'm having great difficulty with, and for which I can find
>no obvious examples, is how to parse the response from a service. As was
>discussed at the MOBY meeting in CSHL,  there's a somewhat different
>syntax for queries and responses. The examples I have found describe how
>to provide a service (how to handle incoming requests). None talks about
>how to parse incoming responses.
>
>Now perhaps I'm just being really dense here: the difference really
>couldn't be that big. I've tried running your MOBYSHoundGetGetBankff with
>NCBI_gi:431260 as the query, I get back a nice fat response. But I'm
>really having difficulty extracting the information. Do you (or anyone
>else on the list) have an example you could post, showing how to deal with
>the response from a query? Maybe there are examples out there already - if
>so, I'd really appreciate someone pointing them out to me.
>
>Thanks for that, and thanks to yourself and the other CSHL::MOBYers for a
>great introduction to things MOBY.

PhD, Computational Biologist,
Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons