[MOBY-l] Processing MOBY responses: MOBYSHoundGetGenBankff as an example

Frank Gibbons fgibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 8 21:03:08 UTC 2004

Mark,

One topic which I'm having great difficulty with, and for which I can find
no obvious examples, is how to parse the response from a service. As was
discussed at the MOBY meeting in CSHL,  there's a somewhat different syntax
for queries and responses. The examples I have found describe how to
provide a service (how to handle incoming requests). None talks about how
to parse incoming responses.

Now perhaps I'm just being really dense here: the difference really
couldn't be that big. I've tried running your MOBYSHoundGetGetBankff with
NCBI_gi:431260 as the query, I get back a nice fat response. But I'm really
having difficulty extracting the information. Do you (or anyone else on the
list) have an example you could post, showing how to deal with the response
from a query? Maybe there are examples out there already - if so, I'd
really appreciate someone pointing them out to me.

Thanks for that, and thanks to yourself and the other CSHL::MOBYers for a
great introduction to things MOBY.

-Frank

PhD, Computational Biologist,
Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons