[MOBY-l] DAML/OIl editor for viewing MyGrid ontology

Phillip Lord p.lord at russet.org.uk
Mon Apr 5 17:22:10 UTC 2004

  Simon> Many thanks for your comments, I was hoping someone from
  Simon> MyGrid would catch this. At the MOBY developers meeting this
  Simon> weekend we decided it was time to expand the MOBY service
  Simon> ontology and the existing MyGrid ontology seemed like a great
  Simon> place to start. I completely agree that we should endeavor to
  Simon> keep things in sync where ever possible.

Something that I would be keen to do is to come up with an OBO style
ontology from the original mygrid one. Mark and I have discussed this
before, but we've never got around to it.

  Simon> I've been looking through the list of pubs from MyGrid and it
  Simon> looks like Chris Wroe's paper in Int. J. Cooperative
  Simon> Info. Systems.  Vol. 12, No. 2 (2003) 197-224 on "DAML+OIL
  Simon> ontologies to describe bioinformatics web services and
  Simon> data"would be a good place for me to start reading about how
  Simon> this ontology came together. If there are other docs that you
  Simon> would recommend please let me know. Once I've got a better
  Simon> feel for things I'll probably pester you for more information
  Simon> if thats Ok.

This paper is probably the best place to start. You might want to try
this ontology....

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~phillord/download/scratch/mygrid-reasoned.daml

which is the same ontology but fully reasoned over you.

  Simon> Thanks for the info on Protege at http://www.co-ode.org/, I
  Simon> found an OWL plugin already but the graph drawing plugin
  Simon> looks handy so I'll give that a go too.

It's very cute I think.

Cheers

Phil