[MOBY] [MOBY-l] Input XML syntax

Ken Steube steube at sdsc.edu
Thu Oct 23 12:19:18 EDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

> The articleName
> attribute belongs to the Simple/Collection element, not to the
> queryInput element.  This is because in a single invocation of the
> service (i.e. a single queryInput) there may be multiple named
> parameters of the Simple/Collection type.  thus the queryInput itself is
> not named, but the articles it contains are.

Much better. The reason I thought they went on the queryInput
was that MOBY-Client05.cgi puts them there (a little something to fix).

> > 3) Is it OK for a queryInput to have multiple Simples as shown below?  I
> > think not...they should be separate queryInputs or should be in a
> > collection.
> >
> > <queryInput>
> >   <Simple>...</Simple>
> >   <Simple>...</Simple>
> > </queryInput>
>
> no, this is not allowed.  In the CommonSubs module, I do make allowances
> for this error by passing an array back from parsing the content of a
> Simple article, but it *should* always be an array of length 1, and in
> my example services I enforce this by taking only element $array[0] from
> the array and using that as the input.  Whether or not other service
> providers will allow for this is up to them, but I would discourage it,
> since it isn't correct message structure.

Maybe you should take $array[0] in CommonSubs.pm and enforce the
proper style.  If we allow people to do it wrong, then they will do so
and it will get messy.

Ken Steube            steube at sdsc.edu
San Diego Supercomputer Center @ UCSD
San Diego, California             USA