[MOBY-l] serving proprietary information (esp. attn. Richard Feldmann)

Richard J. Feldmann rjfeldma at erols.com
Mon Mar 3 15:17:35 UTC 2003

Response to Mark Wilkinson's 3/1/03 comments

>As I understand it, the scenario Richard wants us to support is
>protecting information from "prying eyes" until they have signed a
>license agreement, or in a general case, limiting access to MOBY
>Services to only certain people, while excluding others.

It's funny how people have different views of things.  Mark's "prying
eyes" idea is far from what I would like to achieve.  I would like
everyone to use the (connectron) information at I calculate about
genomes.

A little bit of history will serve to illustrate the source of my
view.  On January 23rd of this year, Nature published its issue on
50th anniversary of the publication of the discovery of the DNA by
Watson and Crick.  The fifty-page section was sponsored by Roche.
The front and back covers of the section used a computer-generated
image of DNA that I calculated 25 years ago.  The attribution was
"courtesy of the Div. of Computer Research & Technology, NIH/SPL".
SPL is Science Photo Library in London where I lodged the best of the
images for dissemination.  This was just great!  I made hundreds of
thousands of images over a ten year period for many different
scientists throughout the world.  Many of the images have been used
in and on the covers of textbooks.  Some have an attribution comment
and others do not.  I'd argue that fifty years from now there will be
a similar celebration about the discovery of connectrons and how they
control differentiation and development.

My goal in this genomic information age is only to see that people
remember who calculated the information and to whom small royalties
must be paid.

>Since MOBY is built on SOAP, and MOBY-SOAP uses HTTP, and HTTP already
>has authentication, then MOBY already has authentication.
>
>I added a few lines to the Perl MOBY::Client::Service module ...

I think that this is a perfectly adequate technical solution - thanks!

>Problem solved?  ... or did I misunderstand the problem?

I'd say that this is a reasonable working solution to the problem.

Richard Feldmann.

  Richard J. Feldmann                                 (v) 301-926-0921
  Global Determinants, Inc.                         (f) 301-926-7954
  17800 Mill Creek Dr.                                (c) 301-526-8524
  Derwood, Maryland 20855-1019       rjfeldma at erols.com