[MOBY-l] How to call a web service with java client

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jun 2 08:07:07 UTC 2003

> But I can't call a service registered in biomoby.

   I will hapy to guide you through it...

> At first I would like to call a 'RetrieveGOFromKeywords' service
> provided by flybase.org.

   First of all, there are two ways how to contact BioMobyCentral: a
direct one, using directly the BioMoby API, or from a Java (you are
talking about Java, aren't you?) client using its API and hiding all the
XML BioMoby stuff.

> I have already confirm a CGI based Moby Client and I am trying to
> call a service with java client using MobyCmdLineClient.

   The MobyCmdLineClient has also a method 'call' that actually allows you
to do the 'dirty' (read: XML) stuff from the Java API. It is not, however,
the most encouradged way - but you can do it (even though I have not
tested this method much :-( ).
   If you decide to use 'call' you need to specify as the first parameter
the method name you want to call...

> $ java MobyCmdLineClient -call RetrieveGOFromKeywords in.xml

...but the method RetrieveGOFromKeywords does not exist. Perhaps you are
trying to contact (call) the service with this name. Are you? (I thing so,
looking at your input XML.) If this is the case, you cannot do it using
MobyCmdLineClient, unfortunately. This client is here only to talk to the
BioMoby Central (a registry) not to communicate with the registered
services.
   I may implement in the (perhaps near) future sucvh call - calls to the
registered services, but it does not exist now. Sorry to disappoint you.

   Regards,
   Martin

--
Martin Senger

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger