[MOBY-l] Quick survey of opinions on query structure

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Feb 14 13:26:12 UTC 2003

Mark,
   I am sorry to bother you and the list with probably obvious, and
long-time ago solved/answered questions. But sometimes it's easier to
ask... :-)
   The question is why do we need MOBY's Object at all? My understanding
is (please correct me) that the Moby Object is a wrapper around the real
data sent to a service (and received again from a service). The Moby
registration features can guarantee that a service gets always onlty data
of a type it understands, which is good, but why the data has to be
wrapped in a MOBY-specific XML wrapper? Because sending data wrapped means
that a service must understand them, therefore any service must be first
MOBY-ized. Is that correct?

   Thanks,
   Martin

--
Martin Senger

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger