[MOBY-l] How will MOBY provide for proprietary information suppliers?

Richard J. Feldmann rjfeldma at erols.com
Tue Feb 4 06:42:42 UTC 2003

Phil,

>Phil> I'm not sure what "balanced" means. I guess it means one that
>accomodates your own view point.

Probably.  I've received some proposals from people in which they get
everything and I get nothing - that to me is unbalanced.

>Phil> This reminds me of the politicians definition of "dogma" which
>is "everyone else's viewpoint is dogma,while mine are just common
>sense".

This is a reasonable analogy.

>Phil> Anyway, regardless, moby using a simple protocol to encode
>data from server to client. It doesn't require a particular
>transport layer though. So far it uses HTTP, which is insecure. You
>should be able to use other mechanisms if you want, including most
>obviously https, which gives you security, and the ability to
>control access as you choose, and with a fair degree of security
>that data will not be
>overheard.

It is not so much that the data is secret, as I proposed it, anyone
can have to connectron data for free for research purposes as long as
they acknowledge the proprietary trace.

>Phil> I don't know if anyone has tried it yet though. I'd be
>interested to hear the results though.

I'll think about security levels and tell you what happens.

Richard.

  Richard J. Feldmann                                 (v) 301-926-0921
  Global Determinants, Inc.                         (f) 301-926-7954
  17800 Mill Creek Dr.                                (c) 301-526-8524
  Derwood, Maryland 20855-1019       rjfeldma at erols.com