[MOBY-l] Services on MOBYClient

Simon Twigger simont at mcw.edu
Fri Dec 5 19:47:04 UTC 2003

Hi there,

I've been using Ken's MobyEd examples to get a service up and running
(the docs were very useful, thanks) and all seems to be well. It takes
a Global_Keyword and looks at the list of genes in RGD and if that gene
is in RGD returns a String containing the official symbol and cross
reference data (currently only PMIDs). This is a marginally useful
service that Im using as a test case.

Sample output for comments/vetting. I ran a query using 'Atp1a1', the
service ('keywordToGene') returned the following

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
  <moby:MOBY xmlns:moby='http://www.biomoby.org/moby'>
         <moby:Response moby:authority='http://www.illuminae.com'>
         <moby:queryResponse>
             <Simple>
         		<moby:String moby:namespace="RGD" moby:id="Atp1a1"
moby:articleName="geneSymbol">
         	Atp1a1
         		</moby:String>
         		<CrossReference>
                 	<Object moby:namespace="PMID" moby:id="1363813"/>
	       			<Object moby:namespace="PMID" moby:id="8040284"/>
         		</CrossReference>
             </Simple>
         </moby:queryResponse>
     </moby:Response>
</moby:MOBY>

I can register the service and it appears on Ken's list_services.cgi,
however, it doesnt seem to appear on the MOBYClient when I select
Global_Keyword as an input. I was wondering if the Client is either (a)
still looking live at services on MOBY-Central and my service
registration isnt working as it should, or (b) new services dont appear
by default (not a bad idea given how crowded things get as people test
things) and so it will not appear simply by registering at MOBY-Central.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

	Simon.

Simon Twigger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Bioinformatics Research Center

Medical College of Wisconsin
8701 Watertown Plank Road,
Milwaukee, WI, 53226
tel. 414-456-8802, fax 414-456-6595