[MOBY-l] service = method ?

David Block dblock at gnf.org
Mon Oct 28 19:56:33 UTC 2002

On Monday, October 28, 2002, at 11:47  AM, Martin Senger wrote:

> It seems that my question attracted some attention but to be fair I do
> not
> understand some answers we have received. Very probably the fault is
> mine
> - I did not express myself clearly. Please allow me to ask it again and
> simply:
>
> Can a Moby central register a web service that has more tha one method?
> Does it want to do it? And can such methods be dependent on each other
> (in
> a sense that one must always be called before the second one)?

In other words, does Moby contain an option of saving session state?  If
so, what mechanism does it use, and what does that mean for client
programming?

Both cgi.pm and java servlets allow state to be maintained fairly
transparently, so we should not have to look too far for
implementations, and we should definitely not roll our own here, as we
want others who have more of a vested interest in session security to do
the development here for us.

I recommend following closely what IBM and MS are doing with Web
Services Security, which should become a de facto standard for this kind
of thing.

Martin - I understand your point.  Having each client roll their own
session ID variable/cookie/whatever solution is clearly a worst-case,
unmaintainable solution, and it raises the bar for new services.  We
should have some way of "use Cookie" or "import javax.servlet.*" or
whatever and just roll with someone else's solution.  The most important
thing then, is to come up with an interface, and then a reference
implementation that others can copy.

And here's where I'll back out again, as I'm too rusty on Moby internals.

Watching with interest,
Dave

David Block                                  dblock at gnf.org
GNF - San Diego, CA             http://www.gnf.org
Genome Informatics / Enterprise Programming
Weblog:      http://radio.weblogs.com/0104507/