[MOBY-l] service = method ?

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Oct 28 19:47:47 UTC 2002

It seems that my question attracted some attention but to be fair I do not
understand some answers we have received. Very probably the fault is mine
- I did not express myself clearly. Please allow me to ask it again and
simply:

Can a Moby central register a web service that has more tha one method?
Does it want to do it? And can such methods be dependent on each other (in
a sense that one must always be called before the second one)?

The example I gave about timely jobs was perhaps misleading. Because the
situation does not need to deal with time-consuming jobs, but with the
whole "bussiness logic". For example, a bibliographic query service may
want to refine queries step-ny-step, each time getting more precise
results of the query. Such example would easily require to have one method
for starting the query and yet another method for continuation queries.

And by the way, the Moby central itself is an example of a web service
that has always two dependent methods (new() and a real one). Therefore,
if Moby central accept only one-method services, we will not be able to
register the Moby central itself in Moby central (I am not saying that I
ask for it but I am just playing with the idea...).

   Martin

--
Martin Senger

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger