[MOBY-l] MOBY License - PAL?

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Mon May 27 16:27:33 UTC 2002

We should probably decide this quickly now that we are generating code...  In keeping with the other open-bio projects, I
suggest PAL

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/language/misc/Artistic.html

other opinions?

Brian:  how would a PAL license on BioMOBY affect our ability to become Associate members of the I3C?  I keep reading the
http://www.i3c.org/html/i3c_web_notices.pdf  membership description document, and it makes me really nervous.  The I3C
guarantees that their IP will be "freely available", but certainly not open source.  This sets us up for trouble if we are
accused (rightly or wrongly) of stealing IP from the I3C and releasing it into the open source.  That may not seem like
something the I3C would do at the moment... but things can change over time (especially where money & IP are involved), so we
have to be very careful about how we deal with each other... e.g. how does the I3C feel about you participating in BioMOBY as
much as you are?

I think we have to find some way to keep abreast of what the I3C is doing (and, moreover, *appear* to be keeping abreast of
what they are doing, as this was the grievance of one of the grant reviewers) without merging with them, nor having any
appearance of stealing their ideas.  It is clearly desirable to keep the two projects as compatible as possible... keeping in
mind that the influence should flow in both directions, not just from them to us.

How do we achieve this?  I'd really like to 'have it out' once and for all among all participants on the list.

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson
Bioinformatics Group
National Research Council of Canada