[MOBY-l] Lukas' object hierarchy, and MOBY money money money...

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Mon May 27 15:36:19 UTC 2002

did anyone have troubles checking-out Lukas' commit of the object hierarchy?  I didn't, but if you did please say so ASAP.

Lukas - are your proposed models in the examples at the end of that document based on models from any other project, or did
you create them de novo?  (or were they just hypothetical possibilities?)  I think it is important that we re-use objects
from other projects as much as possible...

At the end of the day, the MOBY object model system is not exclusive anyway - as we discussed w.r.t. Jason's MAGE-ML models,
you simply wrap "foreign" objects in a MOBY envelope and send them back to the client verbatim;  in that sense, we are fully
compatable with models from all other projects.  However, since we are trying to create a model hierarchy, it would be
advantageous to attempt to design our lightweight objects such that they  can be parent classes of a 'heavy' object from at
least one of the other projects (OMG/I3C/etc).  It isn't *strictly* necessary - a foreign object doesn't *have* to have a
parent type beyond the root "Object" object (which is just the MOBY envelope itself), but it would be *better* if it did.

Alan - this idea is important v.v. our off-list conversation about the EBI web services.  We'd rather use your models than
ask you to use ours :-)

I'm sorry if that sounds rambling...  I hope it made sense!

w.r.t. MOBY funding:  After meeting with the other PI's over the past week, I can now announce that the BioMOBY project was
recently awarded ~CA$400-$500K  (depending on our success in finding matching funds) as part of a successful application to
Genome Prairie/Genome Canada.  Over a three-year term, this money is going to be spread over several Canadian institutes and
a fairly wide range of MOBY-related projects & PI's, but will primarily go towards funding "bodies" rather than equipment.
None of these "bodies" are in place yet, but as the money starts to flow there will be an increasing number of openings for
students to take on aspects of BioMOBY (infrastructure, or downstream use/clients/etc.) as their MSc (or PhD?) research
projects here in Canada.  I have no specific details at this moment, but Genome Prairie will have a booth at ISMB where job
postings will be available.  If any of you know of candidates with interest in this area, please direct them to that booth.

I'm "dropping out" for the rest of the week as I have to have a draft of a BioMOBY manuscript submitted to Briefings in
Bioinformatics by Friday, and it is in really rough shape at the moment.  Please forgive me if I am tardy in responding to
emails.

Cheers all!

Mark

--