[MOBY-l] I3C Life sciences identifier

Michael Gribskov gribskov at sdsc.edu
Fri May 17 16:36:03 UTC 2002

I have received a draft spe for a "life sciences identifier" from the
Interoperable Informatics Infrastructure Consortium.    This seems like an
effort similar to moby and likely to be relevant.  the proposal specifically
mentions that it addresses a problem with the DAS standard not handling "Query
by Identifier".  I guess my questions are:

Is this group in contact with moby?
Does this proposal work/not work with the moby idea of a service?

The gist of the proposal is as follows (for the whole text I think I should
refer you to the authors; I am uncomfortable posting the whole thing)

The Life Sciences Identifier (LSID) specification defines a scheme for
location-independent naming of distributed biologically significant data items
such as a sequence, a clone, a gene, etc., as well as a mechanism by which the
identity associated with the names can be authenticated without strictly
requiring a trusted third party. A biologically significant data item is
defined as a named data element (a file, a database row, etc.) that operates
in a distributed, federated environment and has a defined identity. LSID's are
not meant to identify artifacts of implementation, like a database instance,
or a server, which should be handled by other mechanisms such as JDBC URLs or
WSDL.
LSID names are a type of Location-independent Object Identifier (LOID) that
uniquely identifies a biologically significant data item. The actual location
(address) of a data item is determined by associating the LOID with one or
more communication protocols and network endpoints. Collectively the set of
communication protocols and network endpoints for a data item is called its
ServiceDescription.

URN:LOID:LSID:<authority>:<namespace>:<objectID>:<securityInfo>

where
<authority>
The name of the organization that has defined the entity.
<namespace>
One or more statements that constrain the scope in which this
                 id is evaluated.
<objectID>
An alphanumeric sequence that uniquely defines this object
                  within this namespace, as defined by the authority.
<securityInfo>
An optional field containing a cryptographic identity.
--
Michael Gribskov
San Diego Supercomputer Center & Dept. of Biology