[MOBY-l] locateServiceByInput - what does "@IN" mean?

Matt Links mlinks at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Thu May 16 16:20:31 UTC 2002

> > The MOBY-Central call "locateServiceByInput" takes a list
> > (should be a list
> > reference, actually - I'll fix that) of input Objects as one of its
> > parameters.  Should MOBY-Central return only the services
> > which take as input
> > *all* Objects in that list, or should it return the services
> > which take one or
> > more of the objects in that list?

Why wouldn't there be both calls (or one more flexible call) present
in the api?  If this is implemented like a standard search engine then the
client can put the constraints on the inputs as the client sees fit.

> Definitely do SQL magic to find any service that matches any subset of the list of input Objects.  Otherwise, if you have 3 objects, you have to do 7 queries to get all possible object combinations, and it gets worse from there.

If the api allows the request to have multiple types then the only
magic is the dynamic generation of the SQL which is necessary magic.

> "Always be liberal in what you accept, strict in what you emit."

If you are completely liberal in what you accept isn't the extension to
allow anything as input.

"Give me anything and I'll give you something"

;-)

Matt