[MOBY-l] MOBY Central database schema

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Mon May 13 15:47:18 UTC 2002

"Jason E. Stewart" wrote:

> Because of the API method to locate services based on service type, we
> will need to have a denormalized table that quickly associates all
> super-classes on any service type. Because if we ask for what services
> of a certain service type exist, all parent service types are
> applicable as well.

heh heh heh... yup!  This is something that doesn't exist in GO, but is handled by
the GO API.  In our local installation of GO we do have such a table just to make
things faster and keep the queries as singles rather than recursive (thanks to
Dave Block for this).

I didn't actually mean to imply that we use their *exact* table structure, only
the concept of a term2term table, and a relationships table (which gives us a
simple relationship CV for free...)  We can, of course, re-name the fields to be
whatever makes sense in our context.

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson
Bioinformatics Group