[MOBY-l] Presentation on the WWW site?

Midori Harris midori at ebi.ac.uk
Wed May 8 14:50:04 UTC 2002

> > Midori - how do you think we should deal with these ontologies?  Flat
> > files?  or a database?
>
> For now, I think it would be simplest with flat files and CVS. Since
> we're likely to make major changes left and right, it seems more
> flexible.

This is OK with me too -- at present the MOBY group is small enoug h that
we probably won't tread on each others' toes using CVS. I know I won't be
doing any of the programming for the foreseeable future!

For service types, a GO-style flat file such as the one I sent around will
do pretty well. Chris Mungall and others have experience converting GO
flat file syntax into sql table contents, so we could do the conversion if
and when we think it would help. I don't know if MOBY will need everything
in the GO schema; there's a lot in the schema that has to do with storing
annotations and history tracking.

The class hierarchy looked a bit more complicated, with attributes
tacked onto many of them. If we keep the attributes, it might make more
sense to have a database for classes. I'm not nearly familiar enough with
the format Lukas used, or other options, to know which is best...

Midori