[MOBY-dev] BioMoby Taverna plug-in status?

Victoria Martin Requena vickymr at uma.es
Fri Jul 2 09:16:30 UTC 2010

Hi!

In our INB node we have developed an "advanced search tool" named
Magallanes,
Magallanes is able to search for Web Services using keywords and other
procedures and
also has a module to perform automatic workflow composition from an
input data-type to a output
datatype (available for BioMoby repositories and others).
You can read about some of its features at:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/10/334
Perhaps it may be useful for your tasks.

You can download and use it from:
http://chirimoyo.ac.uma.es/magallanes/  or from jORCA:
http://chirimoyo.ac.uma.es/jorca/
where you can automatically launch to execution the workflows found by
Magallanes.

Best regards,
Vicky

El 01/07/2010 19:14, Mark escribió:
> The answer is "yes" :-)  We're not *abandoning* biomoby, but there's
> really not much left to do... the project pretty much runs itself,and
> there are many people around the world writing support packages for
> it.  So, we will certainly respond to bug reports and will pursue (or
> at least, help you help yourself) if you have new feature requests.
> There are many people out there using it, so it will continue to live
> for a long time!!  We still teach biomoby/taverna in our national
> bioinformatics courses, so we will NOT be walking away from it!
> However, the technology is almost 10 years old now, so we (my lab) are
> quite anxious to move forward with more powerful and
> standards-compliant technologies (like SADI!).
>
> regarding the biomoby plugin limitations:  You can search based on
> input type or output type (not both), but you are correct that you
> cannot restrict your search by type.  keyword searches are not
> available inside of the plugin, but keyword searches can be done in
> taverna's service tree window.
>
> Mark
>

> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:43:56 -0700, Guzman Llambias - INCO
> <gllambi at fing.edu.uy> wrote:
>
>> Hi!!
>>
>> I've been using Taverna with biomoby plug-in and saw that it was a bit
>> limited compared to the full power of biomoby. You can't search
>> services looking at the output type, type of service or keywords.
>> Please, correct me if I'm wrong :) Also, I read some posts that said
>> that the biomoby founders would put more work on SADI and leave their
>> work on biomoby. So, my questions are:
>>
>> - what's going to happen to Taverna's biomoby plug-in?
>> - is there going to be support and updates?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Guzmán

Victoria Martín Requena
Computer Architecture Dept.