[MOBY-dev] BioMoby Taverna plug-in status?

Mark markw at illuminae.com
Thu Jul 1 17:14:14 UTC 2010

The answer is "yes" :-)  We're not *abandoning* biomoby, but there's
really not much left to do... the project pretty much runs itself,and
there are many people around the world writing support packages for it.
So, we will certainly respond to bug reports and will pursue (or at least,
help you help yourself) if you have new feature requests.  There are many
people out there using it, so it will continue to live for a long time!!
We still teach biomoby/taverna in our national bioinformatics courses, so
we will NOT be walking away from it!  However, the technology is almost 10
years old now, so we (my lab) are quite anxious to move forward with more
powerful and standards-compliant technologies (like SADI!).

regarding the biomoby plugin limitations:  You can search based on input
type or output type (not both), but you are correct that you cannot
restrict your search by type.  keyword searches are not available inside
of the plugin, but keyword searches can be done in taverna's service tree
window.

Mark