[MOBY-dev] Dead services and how to figure them out

Sergio Ramirez Ramirez srramirez at uma.es
Mon Nov 10 18:37:25 UTC 2008

Thanks Mark for your answer.

I respond "between lines":

Mark Wilkinson wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 08:54:32 -0800, Sergio Ramirez Ramirez
> <srramirez at uma.es> wrote:
>

>>   * Timeout: If the time limit is got when trying to connect to the
>>       service.
>>     * Disconnected: The connection with the service couldn't be
>> established.
>
> What's the difference between these two?

Really disconnected is more general than Timeout. It can be used when is
not possible to connect with the service but not exactly due a timeout.

>> As you can see Eddie, the proposal is compatible with the one you
>> mention. The only difference is the way to query the status of the
>> service, that know can  be accessible using the functions of the MOBY
>> Central..
>

> Thanks Sergio!  As usual, the INB has put together a very clear and
> thought-out proposal, and it is perfectly consistent with what we had
> in mind!  fantastic!
>
> If I understand correctly, you currently keep this kind of metadata in
> the INB extended MOBY Central, right?  How tightly integrated is it
> with MOBY Central?  (i.e. have you changed the MOBY Central API such
> that you query for this metadata inside of the functions defined by
> the 'official' API, or is this data accessible via new API functions?)
The idea is to make the information of the test done accessible thought
the API. For that  we need to include the status and the last test done
as new information of the registry. Related with the functions, the
proposal was to extend the functions to recover the list of services so
they returns also information about the status. Also was proposed that
those services that don't pass the test weren't returned in the list by
default so the users always got a list of working services

> We (my lab) are similarly interested in QoS issues, and where to store
> this kind of QoSD metadata.  We're looking at repositories such as
> BioCatalogue as a possibile store, since we don't think that this is
> the kind of metadata that the registry itself should be in control of
> (in fact, the registry may not even be capable of knowing!)
> Do you or your colleagues at INB have strong opinions about where to
> store this metadata, and what the API should be to query for it?
In my personal opinion the information have to be stored in accesible
way (web-service, xml or similar) so can be handle programmability. The
real format and protocol used for stored them is not the most important
thing.