[MOBY-dev] Dead services and how to figure them out

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Nov 10 17:50:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 08:54:32 -0800, Sergio Ramirez Ramirez
<srramirez at uma.es> wrote:

>   * Timeout: If the time limit is got when trying to connect to the
>       service.
>     * Disconnected: The connection with the service couldn't be
> established.

What's the difference between these two?

> As you can see Eddie, the proposal is compatible with the one you
> mention. The only difference is the way to query the status of the
> service, that know can  be accessible using the functions of the MOBY
> Central..

Thanks Sergio!  As usual, the INB has put together a very clear and
thought-out proposal, and it is perfectly consistent with what we had in
mind!  fantastic!

If I understand correctly, you currently keep this kind of metadata in the
INB extended MOBY Central, right?  How tightly integrated is it with MOBY
Central?  (i.e. have you changed the MOBY Central API such that you query
for this metadata inside of the functions defined by the 'official' API,
or is this data accessible via new API functions?)

We (my lab) are similarly interested in QoS issues, and where to store
this kind of QoSD metadata.  We're looking at repositories such as
BioCatalogue as a possibile store, since we don't think that this is the
kind of metadata that the registry itself should be in control of (in
fact, the registry may not even be capable of knowing!)

Do you or your colleagues at INB have strong opinions about where to store
this metadata, and what the API should be to query for it?

best wishes!

Mark