[MOBY-dev] Dead services and how to figure them out

groscurt groscurt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de
Fri Nov 7 10:20:11 UTC 2008

> Nevertheless, if we want to test if a webservice "works properly", we
> should first ask service developpers to register with test data.
if i remember correctly, this was something we discussed in tokyo.
I think we should consider to force people to give an example input for the
service, as this is nice a) for testing and b) to understand what the
service does.

But i remember one person (sorry I'm horrible with names) gave a good point
about service which need huge compute power and run for a longer time, which
then would bring them to their knees only because someone wants to test the
"integrity" of the service.

So service providers should be able to say whether those testing shall be
done for their service(s) or not, knowing that their services might be
highlighted as "not tested", but no "not working properly".

andreas

PS: It would be even nicer to force people more. E.g. if someone offers a
blast or any other algorithm to provide the information about what version
of the algorithm the service use or which database (in case of blast for
example) etc... but this can be become complicated.