[MOBY-dev] Web Services in a secure World

sneumann sneumann at ipb-halle.de
Thu Mar 13 13:25:36 UTC 2008

On Do, 2008-03-13 at 12:38 +0100, Andreas Groscurth wrote:
> with different services depending on which certificate was used.
but that was not part of the simple tutorial, was it ?!

> So - in our view this is solved, but feel free to add something :-)
So what is the use case solved here ?

You have a service -- say a database/repository -- which includes
data produced by -- say three -- different consortia, and should also
serve data (for which the protection phase has expired) to the public
without any certificate. How do pass the cert information down to the
retrieval layer ?

Or do you use apache to demultiplex / route the same query
to a given (virtual) service to the appropriate instance
based on the certificate ? This probably doesn't scale very well.

What happens if some remote machine/user belongs to two consortia
(or in fact the administrator needs access to all consortium data),
then he needs to choose the appropriate cert ?

Yours,
Steffen

--
IPB Halle                    AG Massenspektrometrie & Bioinformatik
Dr. Steffen Neumann          http://www.IPB-Halle.DE