[MOBY-dev] data by reference - a request for comments

Martin Senger martin.senger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 04:11:26 UTC 2008

Paul,

URL does not in fact have a well-defined protocol.  URL is simply a way to
> express "protocol:protocol-specific-stuff"

Point taken. The URL has a well-defined *place* where I can find a protocol,
but it does not define what protocol can sit on that place.

> I'll assume you mean http and maybe ftp protocols.  It's important to be
> specific, because you probably don't want to include mailto:, gopher: or
> prospero: for example.

Well, I did not mean to be too specific. All the protocols you mentioned
would be possible (but some of them may hardly find a match between a
service an a client).

All,

I am not against standards, actually standards was what I was hired to
promote at EBI, but my experiences are that sometimes standards simply are
an obstacle. Especially for BioMoby - that is anyway a non-standard message
protocol. We already burned ourselves with using WSRF for asynchronous
services (we have now problems how to make asynchronous services using
REST). I am afraid that using WSRF will rather move service provider from
Moby world than closer to it (I am talking from the point of view of the
service providers and the tools developers, not from the perspective of Mark
who has to face the funding agencies).

The fact is that we want to use REST (in the near future) and not only SOAP,
we want to use Perl where SOAP is not that well supported, and we want the
solution for data by reference to be simple.

Therefore, I do not wish to be eaten (again) by the WSRF - unless my boss
(whoever it is or will be) forces me to do so, of course.

BTW, I like very much the Dmitry's definition of the REST ("a fancy name to
say we are going to send what ever we want without any standard"). I agree
with him - except that we are sending Moby message - which is not standard,
it is faulty, but it has worked relatively fine so far.

For being able to continue this discussion (about data by reference), I
suggest that we try to answer first whether we want to use only SOAP or
whether we are really heading to use REST, as well. My vote for this
question is: yes, we will want to have the REST services, as well.

email: martin.senger at gmail.com,m.senger at cgiar.org