[MOBY-dev] data by reference - a request for comments

Paul Gordon gordonp at ucalgary.ca
Wed Jul 2 17:57:40 UTC 2008

Hi Martin,

I agree with most of your post, but I will be pedantic and point out the
trap you, and previously Tom Oinn, fell into in this discussion:
> Why? Why is not enough the reference itself? It is a URL and the URL has a
> wel-defined protocol. ...
URL does not in fact have a well-defined protocol.  URL is simply a way
to express "protocol:protocol-specific-stuff"
I'll assume you mean http and maybe ftp protocols.  It's important to be
specific, because you probably don't want to include mailto:, gopher: or
prospero: for example.

Paul