[MOBY-dev] [moby] Re: Problems using serviceInputParser method when the mobyservice receives multiple Simple inputs

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Fri Mar 23 17:29:02 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 11:46 +0100, Jose Manuel Rodriguez wrote:

> Other question I have is we are obligate to add namespaces within MOBY
> xml's or not. The MOBY standard says something about that...

I apologize for my earlier response - interestingly, all of that XML in
the message did not render *at all* in my cell-phone emailer, so this
last sentence is the only one that made sense to me when I was reading
it on my phone.  Now that I am on my regular computer I can see the
whole message and it makes much more sense!

The issue of whether or not to use a namespace really is an issue of
what is correct/incorrect XML. The Perl libraries will auto-add the
xmlns:moby to the various <MOBY> headers, so the namespace is going to
be defined in messages that come from Perl services for sure.  You also
have to anticipate that some providers will add the moby: prefix into
their mobyData Objects, so there's no way you can write services that do
not handle namespaced XML, even if you don't generate namespaces in your
own response XML.

I recall seeing some disagreement on the various newsgroups about
whether XML attributes (as opposed to XML tags) had to be namespaced, or
whether the namespace of the tag was assumed to also be the namespace of
the attribute... does anyone know definitively what the answer to this
is?