[MOBY-dev] BioMOBY Asynchronous Service Call Proposal v2.3

Johan Karlsson johan at ac.uma.es
Mon Sep 25 10:25:36 UTC 2006

Hi Paul,

Well, it depends on the particular service? So, any such property must
be optional.

a) For a service that returns a "Percent progress" or similar event, a
client could "guess" when to do the next polling (would not be totally
accurate, of course, but still). Here the service would basically do the
same "intelligent" guessing that the client would do and create this
property.
b) For a service that returns a "Heartbeat" or similar event, a client
cannot guess when it is appropriate to do the next polling (since not
even the service knows when it will finish). Here, no property could be
created.

Not sure if it is necessary with a new property. If a service wants to
help the client to do such "prediction", the service can already use
LSAE event blocks when it returns status to "communicate" with the
client; step progress event and percent progress?

Comments from others?

Kind regards,
Johan