[MOBY-dev] [moby] Example of a response message with SOAP envelope

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Sep 19 16:53:33 UTC 2006

Well, I don't know how other service providers do it, but I seldom
validate the incoming XML *at all*.  I simply use an XPath query or
something like that to reach into the XML document to get the pieces
that I expect to be in there (based on whatever I registered as my input
data type).  If they are not there, I throw an error.

It is possible, of course, to query the ontology to make sure that what
you have received is a child of what you registered as consuming... but
that's a lot of overhead, and besides, what are you going to do if it
isn't a child?  fail with an error :-)  so I simply fail with an error
if I don't find what I want, and skip the expensive validation step
altogether.

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 18:34 +0200, Javier de la Torre wrote:
> Ups!
>
> And how does the services work? I mean, do they have to connect to
> the registry to check the relations of the objects they serve with
> what other people might be sending them? Or is it that they just take
> the string, in my case, and do something with it? If it is the second
> then a user, stupidly, could be sending an object to a service that
> is not necessarily inheritanced from the data type he understands and
> he will be using it. Of course there is nothing wrong to provide
> stupid answers to stupid questions, but, is it like this?
>
> The, can I just take the content from the <moby:string> in the income
> message and expect that it is actually a ScientificName?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Javier.
>

> On 19/09/2006, at 18:26, Mark Wilkinson wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 18:22 +0200, Javier de la Torre wrote:
> >> information I need so I think I am safe because inside your
> >> MyScientificName there will still be a ScientificName. I dont mind
> >> where in the XML it is because XSLT will find it, hopefully!
> >

> > Nope, not quite :-)  ScientificName (as a tag name) will not be inside
> > of MyScientificName; however the *content* of MyScientificName will
> > include all of the same elements as the *content* of ScientificName
> >
> > MyScientificName to ScientificName is an inheritence relationship,
> > not a
> > container relationship

Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI in Bioinformatics, iCAPTURE Centre
St. Paul's Hospital, Rm. 166, 1081 Burrard St.
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6
tel: 604 682 2344 x62129
fax: 604 806 9274

"Since the point of a definition is to explain the meaning of a term to
   someone who is unfamiliar with its proper application, the use of
language that doesn't help such a person learn how to apply the term is
 pointless. Thus, "happiness is a warm puppy" may be a lovely thought,
                     but it is a lousy definition."
                                                                Köhler et al, 2006