[MOBY-dev] post-memory-upgrade check

markw at illuminae.com markw at illuminae.com
Tue Sep 19 03:19:45 UTC 2006

Hi all,

MOBY Central (in Vancouver) is now working on its memory upgrade.
Please let me know ASAP if you experience anything yucky!  I noticed
during my last workshop that if you tell all 30 students to hit the
"query" button at the same time the registry machine crashes with an
"out of memory" error in the system logs, so that's not good!
Hopefully it will be more robust from now on.

The solution, of course, is to improve on the existing codebase... as
many MOBYers have pointed out, I'm "just a biologist" and really
shouldn't be coding production systems under *any* circumstances!  :-)
  I agree entirely!

Now that we have implemented a (distributed) RDF representation of the
registry, there are all sorts of new paradigms we could imagine for
registry implementation, and these are best done in Java, since there
is only minimal support for RDF in Perl at the moment... I'm going to
ask Eddie to consider the possibilities for re-writing the entire
registry in Java using an RDF store as the underlying database.  We
will NOT do this without having a face-to-face meeting with the curent
(5?) registry providers to ensure that the migration is painless, but
I do think that it is perhaps the best way to move the project
forward.  In particular, we want to move it out of the current Perl
implementation into Java, which seems to be more familiar for most
developers (and more powerful at the end of the day).

Still, no need to panic.  We can talk about this at the next
developers meeting.  I'm trying to find the funds to help host this
meeting... stay tuned!

Anyway, please test the registry using whatever mechanism you usually
use to access it and let me know ASAP if you notice any problems.
Hopefully the new memory is sufficient to get us through the next few
months.  Nevertheless, the hits on the registry are still increasing
monthly, so a new architecture will have to be implemented soon...

Best wishes all!

Mark