[MOBY-dev] Data comrpession specs

Paul Gordon gordonp at ucalgary.ca
Tue May 23 15:58:48 UTC 2006

There are generally two cases to consider:

1. Compression or responses should be handled at the Application layer
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model#Layer_7:_Application_Layer) when
the server knows it can safely return a compressed response (e.g. if
Axis or Firefox, etc. sends an HTTP "Accept-encoding: x-gzip" header
with the request).  This is transparent to the MOBY protocol itself, and
requires no changes to the MOBY spec.

2. The situation of *sending* compressed data (which is your problem
now) is more complicated, as far as I know.  Because the client is
initiating the transaction, it has no a priori knowledge of whether the
server will understand a compressed HTTP or SOAP or MOBY XML payload.
The only way to guarantee you can safely send a compressed file is to
have a standing contract with the service provider.  This would require
a change to the MOBY service registration, for example, with a new flag
saying "I accept zlib and gzip compressed MOBY XML!".  You would only be
allowed to send compressed data to services whose definition includes
that flag.