[MOBY-dev] Versioning of LSID's + vote on RFC 1913 & 1914

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Sat Jan 28 05:50:24 UTC 2006

> I still don't see how the "ms since epoch" option tells us the
> time-zone...

    It does not. If we use "ms since epoch" we must document it and say
"this is ms since epoch in UTC". And in the perl code you will use
function 'time' and not 'localtime' (and you will multiply it by 1000
because perl gives you only seconds - unless you use Time:HiRes module).

> ...but I also don't see why it is *critical* to know this at all...  I

   It is not critical. You are right that the critical is only to uniquely
identify a version. But as a side-effect we may use this version for
findng when an object was registered ( and display it nicely in various
clients). In order to do this properly, we need to know what time is used
in the version field.

> however what we are really trying to do here is generate a unique
> string, not record time...

   As said above, generating a unique string is important/critical, but if
we can in the same time to record time, why not to do it usefully.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
consulting for:
   International Rice Research Institute
   Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
   DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
   Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)