[MOBY-dev] RFC #1914 - change & call for vote

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Jan 11 16:12:04 UTC 2006

Hi Martin,

You're right, I should have been more explicit.  There were some last
minute changes to the RDF model (one predicate removed, one added, and
one given a range-change) for a Service Instance that were required to
allow it to be reasoned-over by the myGrid registry.  I detailed what
those changes were in the previous message.  The changes had no
"semantic" consequence to us v.v. what we are intending to describe with
the Service Instance RDF.  This is the RDF that is retrieved by the
getMetaData call on an LSID representing a service instance, and hence
these changes affected the relevant RFC.

v.v. your suggested changes, I think I addressed most of them in the
version of the RFC that I announced; if you recall, I gave you a preview
of the proposals, and you commented on that preview, so I made those
modifications before making the public RFC announcement.

v.v. what is returned by a getData call on an LSID?  This is currently
still an open issue.  The RFC describes (and is titled) how to retrieve
metadata about MOBY entities.  What is returned by a getData call can be
addressed in another RFC(s) if anyone can think of a useful behaviour in
the case of object, namespace, servicetype, and serviceinstance LSID's
(collectively or respectively).  Since there is no requirement in the
LSID specification that an LSID *must* resolve with a getData call, we
are not out-of-compliance with the specification by not addressing this
right now.  My initial thoughts were that, for Object LSID's, we would
return the XML Schema of the object, however that turns out to be
impossible.  I had also thought that we could return the WSDL for a
service from a getData call on a Service Instance LSID, however you
rejected that idea as being redundant.  Since that time, I've had no
other ideas, and no other suggestions have been raised, so... it's an
open question., but a question that does not prevent us from carrying on
with this RFC vote.

I will delay the vote until the following Monday (23rd), since I suspect
that many people didn't spend their Christmas holidays reading the RFC
documents ;-)  In the meantime, let's have some debate about this, since
it forms the basis for the long-fabled RDF agent
registration/deregistration system that is written, but we haven't
switched on yet because the RDF itself is still in flux.