[MOBY-dev] java api

Eddie Kawas ed.kawas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 05:54:53 UTC 2005

Hello Moby,

  I have been tasked with organizing and extending the jMoby
code.  My goal is to maximize the usefulness of what has
already been written and to provide a solid structure upon
which the next generations of jMoby can be based.  In
seeking to accomplish these goals I would like to start with
a discussion of what jMoby does well at the moment and what
it does not so well or does not do at all.  I'd like to use
this discussion to set some specific goals for the next
version of the API.

Once these goals are clarified I would like to use them to
create a conceptually meaningful package hierarchy, slot the
existing classes into it, and to produce the interfaces for
the classes that need to be written. For instance, the
package "shared" could usefully be decomposed into a set of
more meaningful package names which would facilitate the use
of the code by newbies, reducing code duplication and
allowing us developers to be more efficient. The help and
participation from all the jMoby developers will be vital
for this revision to succeed.

Here are some questions I have about jMoby2005:
   Will we be supporting automatic generation of service
templates?  How (axis?)?  Will the library allow for the
addition of real wsdl descriptions of the services so that
client developers outside of the Moby community can use
their .NET/Axis tools to make use of Moby services?  How
will jMoby deal with service ontologies?  Is there interest
in providing GUI development support?

So, let's hear what you think about the future of jMoby!

Eddie Kawas

-B