[MOBY-dev] BioMOBY developers meeting pre-announcement

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at mrl.ubc.ca
Wed Feb 9 19:54:38 UTC 2005

Hi MOBYers!

It's getting to that time again - time for the next (but hopefully not
last... touch wood!) BioMOBY developers meeting!

Due to overwhelming requests I am happy to host it here in Vancouver
again.  Alternately, and at higher cost, we could host it in a more
exotic location such as the spectacular Whistler Ski Resort (site of the
2010 winter olympics - about 1.5 hours north of Vancouver).

The dates are pretty limited.  It appears that the first weekend of May
(7th and 8th) is clear of other conferences that people might want to
attend.

Keeping with tradition, I will be using my Genome Canada grant to pay
for as much of the local expenses as I can afford, so hopefully the
charge to each of you will be primarily for travel, with only a little
bit to cover room and board.

So... a few questions:

1)  Are the dates (May 7-8) going to work for the majority of you core
developers?

2)  Do you want to meet in Vancouver, or should we make our potentially
last meeting a "big blow-out" and have it somewhere more exotic?  (yes,
Rebecca, we can play hackeysac in either location ;-) )

3)  *** Can people please contact me ASAP indicating their interest in
attending so that I can ballpark the expenses and work out how much I
can afford to supplement from my grant ***

4)  Is there now sufficient interest in MOBY that it is worth having
back-to-back developers and implementers meetings?  If you are not a
"core developer", but would be interested in attending a one-day
hands-on meeting with people who have experience in building MOBY
Services please let me know.  If there is sufficient interest I'll see
if I can arrange something like this.

Looking forward to seeing you all again soon!

Mark

--
Mark Wilkinson
Assistant Professor (Bioinformatics)