[MOBY-dev] RFC's in MOBY

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Aug 31 03:30:12 UTC 2005

Frank,
   I am slowly starting to read your version of API. I am sorry that I
have not read it whole, and that I am giving the comments step by step.

   The first few comments about the registry API:

   * I think that the first page (with a list of methods) should also have
(even start with) a list of links to objects used by these methods, such
as a query object.

   * I disagree with labelling the deregisteService as depracated. As far
as I understood, it will be still around for quick resgiter/unregister
cycle where I am not conceedrn about security (that somebody can
deregister my service). So from the API point of view it is a normal
method, not a deprecated one. Mark?

   * service protocol "moby" is actually a service category, not a
protocol I think

   * I would move definition of a "A MOBY compliant service" to the
section about services API (here may be just a link to it).  As I said I
am really concern that these two APIs are (or were before you enter the
scene) confusing, so make them as separate as possible.

   * retrieveResourceURLs has a wrong description (something about
providers)

   * some details have also categories cgi.soap, some not... I suggest to
remove all cgi and sopa for now (we will have in in the CVS if we need it
to re-introsduce it later; surely the 'soap' category bring nothing than a
confusion (isn't it current moby based on soap? - I know how it is, but
newbies perhaps not)

   * the notes starting the section  " MOBY Central Procedure Call
XML" shoulod be on the first page, or linked in the first page".

   And the last (but not an unimportant) general comment: the XML-based
API should be expressed as DTD (which is more preferable in this context,
XSD is not so human readable).
   Also the details about individual tags and attributes are quitel imited
now.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
International Rice Research Institute
Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)