[MOBY-dev] getting RDF from BioMoby

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Sep 23 09:06:49 UTC 2004

Mark,
   Finally, I started to update my graphical tool for displaying moby
objects. I am going to use now the RDF tree that I can get from the
biomoby registry. Because I plan to add this new features (getting RDF
resources) to the main jMoby library - so anyone can get it, I have few
qustions before I dive into it:

   1) I found these URLs:
http://biomoby.org/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/Objects
http://biomoby.org/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/Services
http://biomoby.org/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/Namespaces
http://biomoby.org/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/ServiceInstances

   But I need URLs that can distinguish between various moby registries. I
noticed that the URLs above were actually redirected to URLs:

http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca/cgi-bin/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/Objects
http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca/cgi-bin/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/Services
http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca/cgi-bin/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/Namespaces
http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca/cgi-bin/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/ServiceInstances

   These URLs look better for my purpose - because they seem to include an
address of one particular registry. But I am not sure if these
redirections are done in the same way for everybody who has his/her own
registry installed. So the real question is:

   What part of these URLs is the same for everybody (because it is
hard-coded somewhere in your code), and what part should I allow to
customize? E.g. would it be correct to say that access to any registry can
be expressed as:
   http://<your-registry>/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/Objects
where <your-registry> by default is http://biomoby.org/ (or
http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca/cgi-bin)?

   2) I remember that you also mentioned a URL that gives back everything
in one go (something with 'all' somewhere). Does it exist?

   3) The Perl code mentions also 'Predicates' but when I try it cannot
find it. Is this anything interesting for me? (Btw, if I use a wrong URL,
the one without thye last part, such as
http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca/cgi-bin/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/, it makes your
server unhappy :-) .)

   4) And finally, how stable is this, 'undocumented', part of registry's
API? Can I rely on it and include it in the Java libraries? If it is
stable, it would be nice to have it published on the biomoby pages.

   Thanks (and again I wish you nice stay in the Rockies),

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger