[MOBY-dev] observations about registrations with RDF

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Sep 22 13:23:31 UTC 2004

Here are few comments and perhaps questions. But before that I would like
to stress that these issues are urgent NOW (sorry for the capital letters)
because we are changing libraries now and we need these issues to be fixed
(or explained) really soon. Thanks.

1) Testing registry seems to have still older version - it still returns
RDF with CDATA. It would be good to have it restarted, or whatever it
needs. The testing registry with the latest software is important
especially now when we are testing new registration procedures.

2) The service description, as returned in the RDF, lost its CDATA
protection. Perhaps it is correct, I do not know enough about RDF
documents. I have just observed that the 'strange characters',
such as '>', that I put into my service description, were returned
escaped: the character '>' was escaped as '>' - which does not seem
to be correct (but perhaps I am mistaken).

Anyway, I wonder why to play with escaping at all, why not to keep there
CDATA. We have CDATA in service description just because we did not want
to escape everything there - is that correct?

3) I also wonder where are all our LSIDs? There is no single LSID in the
whole returned RDF. I thought that we expressed almost everything as LSIDs
in biomoby (at least internally).

4) I use this list to strongly express how I agree with the last Rebecca
email about being still able to deregister a service by calling a
deregister method even if the service has been registered with the
signatureURL.

5) Finally, just to make this list complete, I would like to remind the
others that there had been a discussion about possibility to get RDF from
the registry even for services that had been already registered. I would
like to have this feature soon - because it may need an addition tag in
the service object, so the sooner we know about it the better.

   With kindest regards,

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger