[MOBY-dev] LSIDs for registry Was: Re: [MOBY-dev] Re: [MISC] CommonSubs.pm

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jun 17 17:54:08 UTC 2004

> what are you planning to do ? Assign LSIDs to registered MOBY services
> ? Or data or service types ? Could you clue me in?

   The idea is to have somewhere repository of metadata attached to
individual services. Actually, to allow to have more metadata
repositories.
   The problem is who knows where these repositories are.
   Ideally, the one who is the issueing authority for LSIDs representing
services should be also able to "resolve requests for metadata for these
LSIDs". And it is the Moby Central.
   The solution we have discussed at the last moby developer meeting
would/could be (at least what I remember, I need to double check with
Mark):
   * to have an LSID resolution service as a part of each Moby Central
   * there will be a normal Moby-native service that would know about
various metadata repositories (so metadata providers may register their
repositories with this service)
   * now, when a Moby Central (actually its resolution service) gets a
request for metadata, it asks this special service to get back known
metadata repositories

   What is needed to be coded is:
   * a Moby Central LSID Resolution service - which I believe already
exists (or almost)
   * a service registering metadata repositories: should this be just
another biomoby registry, or something specific?...
   * an implementation of at least one metadata repository

   Obviously, I would prefer to clarify it first with Mark in person - I
hope that meeting him in Manila in couple of weeks will help to this.

   With regards,

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger