[MOBY] [MOBY-dev] extracting the ontology from moby-dev

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Jun 17 16:52:36 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 10:36, Duncan Hull wrote:
> By combining the data on service names, service providers, service
> types, namespaces and data types from
>
> http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca/cgi-bin/MOBY-Central.pl

Please do not use *anything* at
http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca/cgi-bin/MOBY-Central.pl
that registry, and all ontologies in it, are completely deprecated.

> I have the beginnings of a (very rudimentary) ontology, but its very
> flat (there isn't really any heirarcy of data types or service
> types/names).

there will be, but we haven't built the ontologies yet.

>  Also the relations between service names and data types
> isn't explicit.

Do you mean service names or service types?  If you mean service types,
then you will never find such associations because they don't exist - we
don't make associations between service types and data types... its part
of the "MOBY way".  If you mean service names (i.e. service instances)
then you need to look again at the tables, because input and output
datatypes are certainly associated with service instances...

> Can anyone suggest a way of getting this kind of information out of moby
> central? Given that the jmoby client is pretty "dumb", is there lots of
> information about services that is invisible to the client?

please write such an interface for us :-)  (seriously!  It is on my list
of things to do, but I might not get around to it for a couple of
months...)

Cheers!