[MOBY] Re: [MOBY-dev] Service quality and availability data

Phillip Lord p.lord at russet.org.uk
Wed Apr 9 17:15:13 UTC 2003

  Mark> On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 09:03, Phillip Lord wrote:

  >> The problem with quality of service data is that it will be
  >> different for different people. So storing it in moby central may
  >> not make sense. If you have NCBI, and a 486, generally, the 486,
  >> er, sorry NCBI is going to be quicker.

  Mark> Yeah, I'm not tempted to have "quality" of service anywhere
  Mark> near the registry, but having a thin layer over top of the
  Mark> registry to see how often one service is selected versus
  Mark> another of the same time might be a useful piece of
  Mark> information (in the same line as evaluating a manuscript by
  Mark> its citation index, or evaluating a web page's usefulness by
  Mark> the number of links to it).

This might be interesting.

The difficulty is that moby central does not need contacting each time
a service is used, only the first time that it is found. If I may make
an easy to break analogy, its like web site hit statistics. As soon as
you have a proxy it all goes wrong, because the browser does not need
the original web server to display the page any more.

Cheers

Phil