[GSoC] Google summer of code

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri Jan 6 19:30:56 UTC 2017

From: Eric Talevich <eric.talevich at gmail.com<mailto:eric.talevich at gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, January 6, 2017 at 1:18 PM
To: Chris Fields <cjfields at illinois.edu<mailto:cjfields at illinois.edu>>
Cc: Kai Blin <kblin at biosustain.dtu.dk<mailto:kblin at biosustain.dtu.dk>>, OBF GSoC <gsoc at mailman.open-bio.org<mailto:gsoc at mailman.open-bio.org>>, Timo Sachsenberg <sachsenberg at gmail.com<mailto:sachsenberg at gmail.com>>
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Google summer of code

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 7:15 AM, Fields, Christopher J <cjfields at illinois.edu<mailto:cjfields at illinois.edu>> wrote:
On 1/5/17, 5:28 AM, "GSoC on behalf of Kai Blin" <gsoc-bounces+cjfields=illinois.edu at mailman.open-bio.org<mailto:illinois.edu at mailman.open-bio.org> on behalf of kblin at biosustain.dtu.dk<mailto:kblin at biosustain.dtu.dk>> wrote:

>On 2017-01-05 07:04, Eric Talevich wrote:
>
>Hi folks,
>
>> It looks like Google Summer of Code 2017 is warming up again, keeping
>> the same early timeline as last year:
>> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__developers.google.com_open-2Dsource_gsoc_timeline&d=DQMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=fbHa8Njtvh9VmSnzJxiEUTW9NWDwMMwQAzhgZDO41GQ&m=VxN2GUiqNq-kwrJfiqMM8AOlmx9WirAI7pg0wtBEb40&s=zsoKXNrgklb_VQ7TDxovGTRxJrnwGgHgzix5-jRA9es&e=>
>>
>> Will OBF be participating this year? The mentoring organization
>> application process opens Jan. 19, and the application deadline is Feb. 9.
>
>I think we should do this again, and I think the setup we had last year
>with accepting a wide umbrella of related projects worked well.
>
>I'm happy to help out again. Of course, if someone else feels like they
>want to tackle the GSoC admin work this year, I'm happy to support them
>in any way I can.
>
>Cheers,
>Kai
>
>--
>Kai Blin                                     kblin at biosustain.dtu.dk<mailto:kblin at biosustain.dtu.dk>
>PostDoc / Scientific Software Engineer
>DTU Biosustain                          http://www.biosustain.dtu.dk/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.biosustain.dtu.dk_&d=DQMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=fbHa8Njtvh9VmSnzJxiEUTW9NWDwMMwQAzhgZDO41GQ&m=VxN2GUiqNq-kwrJfiqMM8AOlmx9WirAI7pg0wtBEb40&s=q0tbEtrIt6VSY9PgaHEWFJ4PE7FhkP1W-uD-RFtqG6o&e=>
>Building Thujahuset, room 2.L.09
>DK - 2970 Hørsholm
>Denmark
>mobile: +45 93511306<tel:%2B45%2093511306>                               twitter: @kaiblin

We should definitely do it again.  We have a few students who could participate on the CWL end.

chris

Awesome. Do we have the go-ahead from the OBF board, then?

Kai, I thought you did a great job as admin last year, as did the rest of the OBF team. I'm available to serve as a mentor for any Python-based projects where I can be of help.

Cheers,
Eric

I agree with Eric, I’m definitely on board with Kai heading this up but I’ll let Hilmar make the final decision :) (cc’d)

Thanks

chris