[DAS2] Ontology URIs (was RE: types.rnc)

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Thu Nov 9 00:40:57 UTC 2006

Chris Mungall:
> There absolutely needs to be a stable URI scheme for referencing types
> defined in ontologies. The details of the scheme aren't clear yet. It
> will probably be http based (ie not LSID).
>
> Do you have specific requirements? Should the URI be a URL
> dereferenceable in any browser? Should it dereference to html or RDF
> or use content negotion to decide which? etc

Browsers can treat them as opaque strings if they don't understand the
ontology.  Only if they want to do inferencing or interesting
visualizations
do they need to know about the ontology.

As such, for now we expect clients to have a hard-coded list of known
ontology identifiers.  They do not need to have a default resolver and
we
have no use case for what that response might look like.

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com