[DAS2] hrefs and xml:base

Ed Erwin ed_erwin at affymetrix.com
Fri May 6 17:16:03 UTC 2005

The document you cite as defining xml:base leaves me with an unanswered
question.  It says that this is inspired by the html <base> tag, but
doesn't say whether it works in the same complex way that html <base> works.

Namely, with this base tag:
<BASE href="http://www.aviary.com/products/intro.html">

This href:
href="../cages/birds.gif"

resolves to:
http://www.aviary.com/cages/birds.gif

In other words, it doesn't simply do a String concatenation of the base
and the href, but rather has to throw away the "intro.html" part and
interpret the meaning of ".."

This example comes from
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/links.html#h-12.4

Is there some more complete specification of xml:base that states
whether these complicated things are allowed?