[BioSQL-l] Description

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Wed Sep 12 23:05:12 UTC 2007

On Sep 11, 2007, at 11:10 AM, Chris Fields wrote:

> Here's a question I couldn't find the answer to: should any BioSQL-
> loaded data (via BioJava, BioPerl, etc) be expected to fully round
> trip across any BioSQL-utilizing language?  In other words, if I use
> BioJava/Hibernate to load sequence data in to a BioSQL database and
> use BioPerl to work with the data, can one expect it to work?

In theory yes. In practice, there's hasn't been a great effort of
writing tests and working out the kinks until this is really true.

Though minor differences are easily possible, I'd be surprised though
if there are still huge incompatibilities between how Biojava and
BioPerl store things, given the biojavax work of Mark and Richard.

I don't know how big the differences would be for Biopython or
BioRuby, though, and between those two.