[BioSQL-l] Description

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Wed Sep 12 23:01:28 UTC 2007

On Sep 11, 2007, at 10:54 AM, Richard Holland wrote:

> There is no formal specification for what goes where in BioSQL,

Indeed there isn't a formal specification in text. To understand this
it may be worth keeping in mind that the historic, and still in a
sense primary, use-case of BioSQL is to be the common persistence API
for the Bio* projects.

Hence, what is relatively well defined is how to map a Bio* object
model (in particular, BioPerl's - and meanwhile Biojava's - object
model) into BioSQL and back. Where a particular piece of a GenBank
file ends up in BioSQL would therefore depend on where it ends up in
the respective object model, strictly speaking.

Since this doesn't bode well for interoperability between the
toolkits (which was one of the points of having BioSQL) Richard, Mark
Schreiber, and I got together 2 years ago to reconcile BioPerl's and
Biojava's way of ingesting and representing a richly annotated
sequence, leading to the RichSeq work being added to Biojava (correct
me Richard if I'm confusing things).

So in theory, at least meanwhile BioPerl and Biojava should map a
GenBank sequence to BioSQL in a very similar or ideally identical
way, so I'm not sure this has ever been put to the test.

I'm not aware of a similar effort that has been undertaken on the end
of Biopython, though I'd be more than happy to work with anyone from
the Biopython community who is interested in resolving this. Given
the recent Bio.SeqIO work there, this may be a good time to take this
up.

	-hilmar